September 11, 2013

Facades









Who can't help but fall in love with the cockeyed canal houses of Amsterdam? While strolling the streets, I saw numerous sofas being hoisted through windows, hanging from a hook on a wonderfully ornate gable. When I arrived with my enormous suitcase in tow, I laughed when I opened the front door to the apartment I was staying in and wondered how in the world I was going to get up the most narrow staircase I had ever encountered. Very carefully and sideways, as it turned out.

Interesting fact: the houses are narrow because property taxes were based on the width of the house, so people built them narrow, deep, and tall. 

10 comments:

tinajo said...

Cute houses and great captures!

Lyle @ The Joy of Simple said...

What an interesting display!! Goes to show you I guess that home truly is where the heart is :)

Thanks for the quirky look Irene.

Lyle

Anatomia duszy. said...

I love such houses, amazing. :)

allesistgut said...

So beautiful houses and the thanks for the interesting story behind.

Kelven said...

Beautiful! You're making me really miss Europe

Ewela said...

awwww such beautiful!

Jennifer Squires said...

I love hearing tales of how different communities evade taxes! Thanks for sharing!

whiteboard animation videos said...

Great picture.I like it.Good job keep it up

lola davis said...

Thanks for sharing! This page was very informative and I enjoyed it. fine art auction San Francisco

Laura said...

Awesome pictures ! What type of camera do you use ?